Popular Destinations by Patric Tengelin

My name is Patric Tengelin and I have been a digital nomad for many years. Here is some useful information if you're thinking about joining the rapidly growing digital nomad demographic.


The first destination we'll discuss here is Georgia. That's Georgia, the country, and not the state. They used to have something called "Remotely from Georgia" during the Covid pandemic. This was a state program to allow foreigners to travel to and work remotely from Georgia. This program will be terminated soon and most nationalities will again be able to travel to Georgia and stay for up to a year. That's right, you can be an eternal tourist in this wonderful country. Please enquire with Georgian authorities or your embassy for details in your specific case. If you stay more than 183 days in a calendar year you automatically become a tax resident. For individual entrepreneurs there is a flat 20% tax rate and if you set up a company tax rates start as low as 1%. To stay up to date with current requirements, please seek professional tax and immigration advice from places like Expat Hub, with offices in Tbilisi and Georgia.


If you are looking for health insurance I have been very impressed by SafetyWing which has health insurance for nomads and remote teams and include Covid related illness as well.


Tbilisi has many faces. It's where old meets new and where hospitality is felt throughout the city. Below are 5 photos which gives you an idea of what it may be like on a visit. You have the world famous King David Residences. It's not unusual to see units for rent on Airbnb. If you're interested in buying property in Georgia you need to check out MyHome.ge.


Georgia Photography by Patric Tengelin
Georgia Photography by Patric Tengelin
Georgia Street Photography by Patric Tengelin
Georgia Photography by Patric Tengelin
Georgia Street Photography by Patric Tengelin


If you are looking to go to the coast then Batumi is your obvious choice. This great city is sometimes referred to as the Las Vegas of the Black Sea. You'll see a ton of different nationalities on the boardwalk and in the hotels and casinos. This is a very relaxed city where again, old meets new. You can literally see the transformation happen before your own eyes.

Caribbean Destinations

Pretty much anyone I know dreams of being able to work from a sunny country with good vibes and the beach just around the corner.


Well, as digital nomads we now have Antigua & Barbuda, Barbados, Bermuda, Cayman Islands and Anguilla to choose from. For all these destinations you'll be required to maintain your own health insurance plan. If you plan on relocating here for tax residency, consult with your professional financial advisor first to see what programmes are available. If all you want to do is to work remotely from any of these Caribbean nations though the general guidelines are that you cannot obtain employment locally but your income must be sourced from outside of the country. The general threshold for proof of source of income is that you make $50,000 a year with the exception of the Cayman Islands where it's $100,000 per person or $150,000 per couple. Also, Bermuda doesn't specify a minimum limit. Bare in mind that Bermuda with its pink-sand beaches is the most expensive country to live in the world, so budget accordingly.


Visa fees:

Antigua & Barbuda. $1,500 per person. $2,000 per couple. $3,000 per family.

Barbados. $2,000 per person. $3000 per couple/family.

Bermuda. $263 per person.

Cayman Islands. $1,469 per person.

Anguilla. $2,000 per person. $3,000 per couple/family.


European Destinations

If too much sun and sandy beaches is not your thing then you may want to relocate to Europe instead. Rich in history and culture Europe has something for everyone.


Portugal - if you make €600 per month and fancy living in vibrant Portugal then you need to check out the Portugal D7 Digital Nomad Visa.

Malta - if you make €2,700 per month this Nomad Residence Permit is available to anyone who holds a rental agreement and travel insurance.

Italy - if you relocate to the southern Italian regions you may be able to apply for a 90% tax reduction in a program called lavoratori impatriati.

Croatia - if you have proof of accomodation, self-employment and at least €2,500 in monthly income you can apply for this digital nomad visa.

Estonia - if you own a location independent business or have foreign sourced income of €3,500 per month there's a visa you can apply for here

Germany - you can apply for Aufenthaltserlaubnis für selbständige Tätigkeit which is a freelance visa that lets you stay for 6 months to 3 years.

Hungary - if you're not an EU citizen, Hungary offers a 1-year digital nomad visa called White Card. You need to make at least €2,000 per month.

Iceland - if you make ~$8,000 per month and have always wanted to bathe in a hot spring, then Iceland offers a 6-month visa for digital nomads.

Norway - if you're self-employed with foreign sourced income of ~€36,000 per year and fancy Norway for up to two years, you can apply here.

Other Destinations

There are a lot of digital nomad programs currently under discussion by lawmakers in various countries around the world, such as Bali (Indonesia). With millions of location independent workers and growing because of the workplace transformation in the wake of Covid, countries are trying to adjust and capitalize on this demographic. Below is a list of some which have already passed legislation into law.


Dubai (United Arab Emirates)

You can work remotely from Dubai under their one-year virtual working program. Some conditions you need to fulfill is $5,000 per month in salary and the past 4 months' bank statements showing income as well as submission of a one-year contract from your employer.


Costa Rica

This country with all its natural beauty and surf spots offer a 2-year temporary residency visa called the Rentista. You will need to deposit $60,000 into a local bank and then obtain a commitment letter which states $2,500 per month will be made available.



Who doesn't love Mexico? If you have monthly income of $1,620 and proof of source of funds of an additional $27,000 you can apply for a Temporary Resident Visa. You will need to book an appointment at the nearest Mexican consulate to submit your application.



Here you can apply for the Premium Visa and stay up to a year. You'll become a tax resident if you spend more than 183 days and the tax rate is 15% on any salary remitted to the country. There is no capital gains tax.

Disclaimer: The information on this website was valid at the time of publishing but since digital nomad legislation is a quickly evolving space, always seek official guidance before making any plans. Additionally, please consult an international taxation lawyer for any impact to your financial situtation and commitments when relocating to a new jurisdiction. The information on this website is for entertainment purposes only and we take no responsibility for the accuracy of the information.